Saturday, December 21, 2013

BETA After BETA with 2 Ultrasounds on the Side

As in my last post we got the surprise of a first BETA that was 25! My second jumped to a 112. My RE was expecting to see about a 50, so that was exciting! At that point I still was in shock and denial that I was even pregnant. Around came BETA 3 with a 202. Not too bad... it just about doubled.  Then 456 in just over doubling... "Maybe I'm pregnant after all," I'm thinking. BETA number 5 was at a 996. This is where their concern came in. At that point they were expecting to see at least a 2000. That voice in the back of my head is freaking out... "Is there something wrong?" Then the final BETA of 1764... still not even doubled from the previous. My nerves are on edge right now.

4 days after that last BETA was the first ultrasound. Right about then, according to the transfer date, I should have been about 6 1/2 weeks. The ultrasound showed 1 embryonic sac measuring 5 weeks 5 days. Doctor seemed concerned I was measuring so far being. The yolk was barely measurable since it wasn't very definitive and a baby wasn't visible enough to get a crown to rump measurement.

4 days later (yesterday) we went back again for another ultrasound to see if there was any progress at all. At this point I should have been a couple days past my 7 week. There should definitely be a heartbeat, even if it was a faint one, a heartbeat would be good to hear. This is what we saw...

The same 1 embryonic sac measuring now 5 weeks 4 days, still a not very definitive yolk sac and still no baby measurement. RE stated at this point, there shiuld be a 1/2 inch baby that should be easy to find and measure and with a heartbeat. We came up woth the same issues. Couldn't measure a baby and still no heartbeat. Right as the doctor left the room, my IM and I held each other for a good while sobbing.

Before we left, I got another BETA just to see where the numbers were. Now mind you, this is over a week since my last BETA, so I should be well above 10,000 ... my BETA was 2714. Again not even doubled from over a week ago.

If it had been lower than my number a week ago, my IPs would have felt it would be best to follow doctor's orders in stopping support (PIO) and allowing me to pass this pregnancy naturally without a d&c needed. Since the number is still higher they are asking me to continue support until after the holidays to keep the pregnancy sustained in hopes to have that glimmer of a hope and miracle to possibly happen. My next ultrasound will be January 3rd. 2 weeks will be a long enough time to for sure either see progress or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment