Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Long Time No See...

Hello everyone! Wow it's been quite some time huh?

Since my last post, our transfer turned out to be a failed cycle. We had some complications.  Our of the 7 embryos only 3 made it to transfer day after the thaw, in which we transferred 2, one being a blastocyst.

We had 2 months of BCP before starting our next cycle. This cycle is a fresh one! IM was a bit discouraged this time, but we both keep in mind that the "third times a charm". This is her third egg retrieval and my third cycle. At first they only found 3 follicles so that was another basis for her discouragement. 3 grew to 5, which then grew to 7, which then grew to more! There were a total of 7 eggs retrieved, 6 mature, 4 fertilized. 1 stopped growing so we only had 3 left to work with by day 3.

Our RE stresses the importance of blastocysts and 5 day transfers and no more than 2 embryos on transfer and all that jazz. That's just how they roll. They wanted to go out of their protocol. Since he has been doing this for over 30 years, I trust his judgement. He said he just has a gut feeling and just knows when going out of protocol is what may work for his patients. With my IPs history of their embryos not enjoying the petri dish, he wanted to go with a 3 day transfer, letting them feel comfy in their surroundings as to encourage them to keep growing.

Another break of protocol he was very confident about was transfering all 3 instead of 2. He confessed he normally discourages it highly,  and he had not transferred 3 in many years. He felt the 2 8-celled (assisted hatched) and 1 7-celled (not assisted hatched) would result in a strong singelton or at very most twins (their preference). Again, this is not something I'd advise normally, but at the moment I felt as though it may be the right thing. So if anyone has any negative comments about my going along with 3 embryos, please do not waste your breath or time typing it up. I talked with my IPs as well with my husband and we were all in sync with thoughts and feelings, and honestly that's all that matters.

Right now we are 4 days into our 2ww. I've tested every single day since the transfer, including ON transfer day lol I'm well aware the test will show up negative no matter what the actual result is, but I want to have a comparison like last time, even though last time was all negatives. It is November 19th, only 7 more days until our BETA. It's scheduled for November 26th (2 days before thanksgiving! )... wouldn't it be great to give my IPs something to be thankful for on thanksgiving?

On another note, I'm extremely weary. I was to be excited, but don't want to be set up for disappointment again if this is another failed cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment